Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Amaranth Enchantment By Julie Berry

The Amaranth Enchantment by Julie Berry
306 pages
Price: Hardcover-$16.99 U.S.                                      
    Lucinda's parents never came back from a ball when she was little. Now, she is forced to be a servant to her mean aunt. When both the prince and a strange woman known as the Amaranth Witch come into the shop one day, Lucinda decides to help the woman and finds unexpected friends-and danger-along the way.


    I looked up to see the prince-the prince!-peering down over the counter's edge at me.
    'You don't need to do that,' he said.
    'Do what?'
    'Get down on your knees. Unless you are proposing marriage.'
I scrambled to my feet. 'As you wish.' I dusted off my skirt. 'You know best.' Stupid response! Could I mortify myself anymore?
    He turned and doffed his hat to Uncle, who'd only just barely gotten back on his feet.
    'I fear I must be going, sir,' he said. 'I haven't time for a special order. I need something sooner.' His eyes glanced my way. 'Your shop assistant shows great promise.'
    He was mocking me. I was ridiculous to him.
    Then he bowed to me. 'A pleasure. Might I ask your name?'
    As God is my witness, I swear this is true: I couldn't think what it was. . . .
                                                  ~The Amaranth Enchantment by Julie Berry


No comments:

Post a Comment